Search This Blog

Saturday 19 March 2016

85- Emptiness and Irony

We dropped our son off at school at 2:30 am this morning as he went away with his friends and teachers for a week of skiing.


Came back home, went to our separate rooms and respective beds.


I am exaggerating I am sure but I felt convinced that, with our son not in the house, I felt a hole, a lack, an emptiness. Seemed to bring home that he is the only thing we have that keeps us together. Should not be a surprise but felt quite stark.


The irony bit is that we both went to drop him off and she suggested to some of the other parents - admittedly, jokingly - that we should all go to a night club. Ironic because one of her past rants has been that it is idiotic of me to think that, at my age (47), I should consider 'having fun'. Apparently, I did not when I was the appropriate age and now I am somehow past it and should just knuckle down to be a father and husband.


That is a valid point of view but then why even suggest the opposite with others? Or is it that she should have fun and I should just provide?


Anyway, thankfully, I had a bunch of office work to do and so headed into town. We have not spoken about whether we should speak to family and close friends about our situation. I'll wait for instinct to guide me with regard to whether I should broach or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Entry 1: Walking Cliche

What can I say? I am a walking cliche. 42 years old, a middle manger in a large organisation in a large city. Married, one child (private sc...