Search This Blog

Thursday 17 October 2024

223: Two Letters - the not so nice one

 The reaction to my request for a separation has been different from what I had expected. I had anticipated that she had been equally unhappy and disappointed in me. Turns out that, for the moment, she was happy and did not regard me as a complete dufus.

Confidant: 222: And the deed is done ... but was I wrong? (dear-confidant.blogspot.com)

I was going to write a letter anyway but a couple of conversations prompted me to do so earlier than I had thought:


15 October 2024

My dear M.

You know that I am better on paper than face to face – but, obviously, I could not say what I did last Sunday in writing. Please allow me this one-way communication for some thoughts.

My Feelings

I cannot justify or pretend that my asking for a separation is for anyone else’s perceived benefit than mine. You started to ask me questions the other day and this morning, so it seems fair to try and explain a little further.

Not 2015

What I have most struggled with – and, please, again, this is from my point of view only – is an obvious level of anger through much of our married life and a sense of unhappiness and need to control.

I remember writing to you way back in Brussels (2000) or speaking to you in Delhi (2001) about, really, how we had everything, but you would be upset, nevertheless. There is little point in going over examples or explanations both before and after the major blow out of 2015 but, and I have shared this with you in the past, I repeatedly felt belittled, humiliated and would go to bed crying. I felt neither useful nor a very good person – otherwise how could you speak like that? Yes, much of that negativity is in my make up as you surmise but, as I mentioned when we spoke, I had hoped to move into a new environment after marriage.

We never spoke about you directly but your baba and jethi spoke to me (unprompted) about your family’s (dad's mother's side) ‘world famous anger’. Ultimately, I put it down to DNA.

I am perfectly willing to admit that you are simply unaware of the effect that your temper has on people – and, again, I have pointed that out in the past. You would be angry, and then happy and sunny in the next moment, as if nothing had happened. That is a struggle for me. As you have stated, I do not like confrontation, you see nothing wrong in it.

In our discussion now, you have said that you have not been unhappy and that you consider me a nice person. But too much water has flowed under the bridge for me to consider rowing back – I am sorry. I know that you will be angry at me for what I have done.

Me (again)

I am perfectly aware that I am not an easy person to live with. My work colleagues see me as a grumpy type, I have not been a ‘fun’ father, and I haven’t bought enough presents or been romantic with you. Within those limitations, and, no doubt, others, I have tried to be a present person and a helpful one.

Would it have been different with someone else? An impossible question to answer. There has been no one else before or after you and there will not be in the future. There would have been other frustrations no doubt. One of the points I made when in counselling was that I am not an ‘environment maker’. Te or E or T could walk into a room and a dour one would become a happy one. My behaviour, on the other hand, would be influenced by the room. So, maybe, I am best alone.

 You

It goes without saying that you are a highly intelligent, highly functioning adult. You are vivacious, charming, dynamic – and your friends and colleagues, I am sure, appreciate that. With regard to our partnership, I have admired those qualities and been proud to have you by my side; amongst many instances, for example, G and P and K have been disappointed not to see you when they and I have met. Your influence has resulted in a more gorgeous and a higher quality of life than the ‘functional B’ might have gone for – and I am grateful for that.

You chose not to work for a long time but that was your decision – P benefited of course. I always thought that the lack of work was causing many of those frustrations and am very happy to see where you are now.

A cliched phrase I know but there is every possibility for you to ‘lean into’ your abilities and really go for it. And if you find someone along the way with the same level of dynamism who can give you far more than I have, that would be fabulous. (my amateur reading of your hand suggests you will.)

I will always remember Isaac’s description of you as, ‘Isn’t that P’s mum – she is smiling even when no one is looking.’

Us

We have had some good times I think – even away from our work as parents. It has, perhaps, not been the ‘first-class’ life, given my earnings, but I like to think it has not been too bad. As I mention above, you led me to a better life, and I tried my best to be a supportive husband.

The Future

You are only 51 and I am 55. There is, hopefully, a good life ahead of us as independent adults. One of the many things I admired about your parents (and your father in particular I suppose) was that, while supporting the family, they also focused on themselves and knew how to enjoy what life could do for them. My parents, on the other hand, narrowed down to my brother and me (particularly him) and that did not do anyone any favours.

I have spoken about some of that to P. How we will always be there by his side but, at the same time, he needs his freedom, and we need our’s. We have this one life; we have worked hard and there is a journey ahead. Each of us is one in 8 billion and so we have to be wary of self-importance – none of it really matters other than to create a little bit of what we enjoy, and that is down to each of us as individuals and not dependent on others.

I don’t know M. Thank you for reading. I will always be open to discussing what you may wish to explore. If there is a way of taking some counselling for all of us to help us through this transition, would be happy to investigate.

Yours

B.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Entry 1: Walking Cliche

What can I say? I am a walking cliche. 42 years old, a middle manger in a large organisation in a large city. Married, one child (private sc...