Search This Blog

Thursday 2 January 2020

151: Aargh ..... and being selfish

New Year's Day 2020.

One of my wife's university friends was visiting for NYE along with her family.

The morning after the night before and this friend and I were having a general, gentle conversation about this and that. I was doing most of the listening.

Then my wife comes down. And not in any disrespectful way or anything, completely takes over - with anecdotes about her family, sociological extrapolations about why certain communities do this or don't do that, all in that relentless, incessant voice ... so I just walked out and made breakfast for everyone!!

But then, yesterday, in the evening, an interesting conversation.

I wrote in Entry 150 about how a couple of days ago I had said the previous day that I would prefer to have the car about 4 pm so I could go to the gym. She fiddled and faddled in the morning and then said she would not be back in time - so I went for a run on the roads instead.

For this morning (2nd Jan), I said that it would be useful if I could have the car as I needed to go across town for an urgent errand - being at my mum's house while a new boiler was fitted.

She said, 'You should just tell me that you need the car and that I should make my own arrangements if need to go somewhere.

'The other day, you said that it would be good if I came back before 4 pm - you should have said I needed to be back.

'Learn to think more about yourself. You are the opposite of most people.''

And then she went to our son and said, 'Our project for the next decade for your father is to make him unreasonable and selfish.'

Really? After all the shit I have had to take? Admittedly a lower volume of the stuff directed at me the last few years since the Entry 99 - Dramatic Turnaround but the attitudes and assumptions have not changed.

So, I ask again, 'Really?' Ok then ... may it be so.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Entry 1: Walking Cliche

What can I say? I am a walking cliche. 42 years old, a middle manger in a large organisation in a large city. Married, one child (private sc...