Search This Blog

Tuesday 3 May 2016

90 - While Browsing

I was looking for something in my e-mails and came across the exchange below.


All I got for trying to be helpful was an insult. Now we are May 2016 and has she done anything? I gave her a contact in the Red Cross - did she do anything with that? 'No' in both cases.


In the meantime, I have been fortunate enough to add 10% to my salary and am negotiating an interest only mortgage in order to free up more cash per month. What has she done?


Bollocks to it all.


From: Her
Sent: 29 June 2015 13:58
To: Me
Subject: RE: thoughts on jobs



Thanks.  I think numbers 2 and 3 - I can remain silent about the 4th!  Since I have hardly any work experience, I have to start working full-time, if I want a salary or career.  Health permitting, I have almost 20 years of working life left.  So enough time to give it a try.  


 And let's face it - we need the money.  Your monthly income has gone up by around £100 over the past 5 years whereas expenses have gone up.....  No matter what you write on Linked In about how happy you are at work and what wonderful colleagues you've got, we need the money!






From: Me
To: Her
Subject: thoughts on jobs
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 10:43:00 +0000
I have been thinking about where you may look for jobs.


The first question anyone recruiting will ask is ‘what do you want?’


1.    You do not want a job that simply meets a need for additional money


2.    You want something that is worthy of your background


3.    You do want to ‘start again’


4.    You have significant constraints on time


The obvious first place to look, therefore, is in the charity sector, local, and perhaps start with volunteering.


 In parallel, you obviously have the ‘big boys’ such as Oxfam, CARE, DFID etc. which may require a direct approach.


I am trying to find out whether this organisation is still active: http://londoncharityjobs.co.uk/careers-advice/


I have a contact in the Red Cross who may be able to advise.


But general google search appears to throw up some roles – perhaps inappropriate – and Reed (and others?) appear to look at this sector as well.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Entry 1: Walking Cliche

What can I say? I am a walking cliche. 42 years old, a middle manger in a large organisation in a large city. Married, one child (private sc...