Search This Blog

Tuesday 20 August 2024

217: bits I still do not understand

Our son went away on a holiday with friends and so She and I went away to Berlin for the weekend about two weeks ago.

Our 25th wedding anniversary was coming up, I knew she wanted a very expensive watch - Omega, Rolex. Separately, on our earlier trip to France she made a big thing about getting tax back for some clothes we bought. And this time round, she bought cooking pans and scissors - that we do not need - and got VAT back on those as well.

So, on the basis that watches like that may have a greater range on continental Europe than London and we could get substantial VAT back, I suggested we spend some time shopping in Berlin. We had time for buying pans but I was completely ignored re: the watch.

Anyway, doesn't matter. She probably considered it mean of me to try and get some money back on a wedding anniversary present. Fair enough.

Completely different topic, I was reviewing my life insurance and I have had a policy ever since I left my permanent job. My wife initially agreed to have one herself but has never got round to doing it. I mention it now and again but there is never any action.

Why is that? Is it because I am a man and I am supposed to provide? And that if something were to happen to her, I am expected to simply carry on? Whereas I am supposed to make arrangements in the event of my demise?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Entry 1: Walking Cliche

What can I say? I am a walking cliche. 42 years old, a middle manger in a large organisation in a large city. Married, one child (private sc...