Search This Blog

Thursday 11 July 2024

216: You are presented with two choices - change or repeat ... choose wisely

Came across this quote on someone's FB page by chance - seems to speak to me!

Life is fine right now. Son's final year school exams over, just come back from a lovely holiday in France.

Minor things continue - microcosm of larger things and hence the resonance of the saying above.

On the last day in the Airbnb, am wrapping up the rubbish and it just so happens that there is a bag with non-recyclables and another with recyclables. She has tied up the former prematurely so it it impossible to open again - when she berates me for doing that usually. There are a few non-recyclables that turn up subsequently and I suggest that we pop them in a bin on the street rather than mix non with the recyclables.

'Just put it in the recyclables bag. Don't be so ridiculous.' Small point, does not matter but at home she would be adamant to the point of irritation about not doing the right thing. Muttered away about that.

We went somewhere by a #3 tram because the tourist office suggested it. 'We could have gone by #1'. Kept saying this through the trip and, on way back, took #1.

We searched out the correct tram to take us halfway to the airport - perfectly convenient to our apartment. 'We can get it from the square instead.' That is what we did. In fact, what she actually said was, 'shall we get it from the square?' My response, humorously, was, 'that's purely a rhetorical question, right? Yesterday you kept going on about #1, so we took #1. We will go to the square, that's fine!'

On the tram, this little old lady voluntarily asked us whether we knew where we had to go to get the shuttle bus for the final leg of the journey to the airport? I began to listen but my wife kept saying she knew and did not listen. So we waited at the wrong bus stop - until I pointed out that 'that bus over there' might be the right one - it was!

Back home, I gather the rubbish and throw it away. Admittedly, I had left some stuff in the fridge which she corrected me for - am not saying at all that I always get things right but I don't pretend perfection and nor do I berate others for mistakes that happen.

Having done 70% of the work, 'it's ok, you don't need to do anything.'

All about control. I let it go but by treating her behaviour as that of a child who needs to win all the time - not as a collaborative and complementary adult.

So, I guess my only skill remains at driving! Confidant: 208: 'You're good at driving' and 'Just because it didn't work out for you' - know where I stand (dear-confidant.blogspot.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Entry 1: Walking Cliche

What can I say? I am a walking cliche. 42 years old, a middle manger in a large organisation in a large city. Married, one child (private sc...