Search This Blog

Monday 10 April 2023

194: Random thoughts over a peaceful Easter break

She has been away for the last couple of weeks and will be for another - essentially during the Easter holiday.

Still no sign of a new job since she left the last one - Confidant: 190: The Job (dear-confidant.blogspot.com)

My son and I are, therefore, having a peaceful break - he works, we watch TV, he has gone out with some friends, he does the cooking for himself. I have suggested going away for a weekend or something but he has consistently said 'no'. He has started going out for walks and I leave him to it rather than suggest going along. 

When she rings me in the morning, it is all about this person or that person and how they are doing things all wrong. Come to think of it, the only people she does not - or hardly ever - criticises are some of her parents' (aged) friends - and, in turn, they absolutely adore her. Of her generation and those below, it is full of judgement and criticism.

Admittedly, where I am is also probably not the best place! In that I generally consider myself a failure while I see my friends (close or otherwise) having qualities that surpass me in every way and I am in awe of them. But, hey, life has been kind enough and I have done what I can.

There has to be a middle rung, right? Where, if you are confident in yourself, and have little to complain about, then you can afford to be generous to others? I do not mean in a patronising way but but people come from all sorts of different places and if they are saying or thinking things that you may not agree with, let it go. There is no need to judge them or try and show how your thoughts are better or whatever. It is possible to learn from them - if only to try and understand what one should care not to be - but why bring stress into one's own life by thinking about others?

Et voila, I am judging there myself, aren't I? And, as I write, I think that is the point. She rings me and immediately the thoughts start to ping around in my head. To be able to live without that running commentary would be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Entry 1: Walking Cliche

What can I say? I am a walking cliche. 42 years old, a middle manger in a large organisation in a large city. Married, one child (private sc...