Search This Blog

Friday 17 May 2019

137: Self-Awareness


She asks me the other day, ‘you like children and enjoy sport – why don’t you do some coaching like many other dads?’

There are two main reasons.

I suppose in years gone by I would have been afraid of the time commitment away from the family. As I’ve shared before, a couple of successive evenings out due to work and there would be stress. Does she really not remember that history?

But I now play sport on the week-ends and so I’ve overcome that particular qualm.

Then I went on to say that – without any false modesty – I have never considered coaching (or mentoring at work, for example) because I have never considered myself to be very good. I would struggle to be a counsellor for example – taking that level of responsibility.
‘I think I would be a good counsellor,’ she responds.

Really? Given that she is just about the most judgemental person I know. That she has treated her husband and son like shit while being all sweetness and light with friends (and a harridan with customer service people who can’t answer back) is an unlikely background for a counsellor. ‘I might do what E. does and become a Samaritan.’

I suppose people can be different inside four walls and outside and she is a good friend to her friends. Good luck to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Entry 1: Walking Cliche

What can I say? I am a walking cliche. 42 years old, a middle manger in a large organisation in a large city. Married, one child (private sc...