Search This Blog

Friday 26 December 2014

45: How (not) to be an adult - in trouble again - Dec 14

So, here we go again.

It's Christmas. As money spent is what matters, I usually buy an expensive handbag. She then goes and exchanges it in the New Year when the sales are on. No problem on my side with that.

This year she specifically says that she has too many handbags and will go for a coat and boots instead. As they have to be expensive, I figure that choosing with her would be the sensible thing. Because of work and school, we don't get to the shops till Christmas Eve.

I suggest a couple of shops  - 'I'm not going there for a Christmas present - I go there all the time.' ;-)

So we walk around a number of shops, she can't choose anything and now we are in crisis because Santa Claus has not delivered anything in time.

In the meantime, she has spent a couple of hundred pounds of our money on clothes for me for Christmas and my birthday - clothes that I do not like and it is a ridiculous amount of money to spend at a time when we have to be careful with money. And if presents are supposed to be for the receiver more than the giver, she knows I would prefer golf lessons or cable TV subscription rather than clothes - but, as ever, it is about her, her, her.

Just a few days ago I was hearing lots of 'I love yous' - is a material gift really the determinant?

The amount of support I give her, the amount of work I do at home, counts for nothing?!

Four foreign trips, Tiffany's diamond ring, Michael Kors handbag - count for nothing?

New house, bigger kitchen, tons of money spent to make it like she wants - counts for nothing?

This is a person incapable of being happy.

To cap it all, out mobile provider offered a couple of free cinema tickets. Initially our son said, yes, he would like to go. But Santa Claus delivered a couple of DVDs he really wanted to watch asap and so he said he would prefer to stay at home and watch that instead.

She says that he HAS to go and use the tickets and if he did not then he would not be allowed to watch the film that that we had targeted at the cinema ever again.

Sometimes I wonder who is the 42 year old and who is the 9 year old in our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Entry 1: Walking Cliche

What can I say? I am a walking cliche. 42 years old, a middle manger in a large organisation in a large city. Married, one child (private sc...