Search This Blog

Tuesday 29 October 2013

Entry 27: Oh dear...

So... we've just come back from a very nice holiday in a very nice hotel in a very nice part of the world. We have eaten at two posh restaurants lately. All should be well.

Yesterday evening I mention that I am going out for an evening with some work colleagues - which I do about once a month I guess. Initially I am met with a reasonable reaction but then, it is, 'you always go out with your friends, never with me. When your parents get back we are going out to the cinema or the theatre.' Clearly she is angry.

I, on the other hand, am just fed up.

I would have thought that my credit rating would be reasonably high right now. And going out when my parents are around is always a possibility.

But there is a bigger picture here.

She is the one who wanted to live as far as possible from my parents as possible - without leaving the city. She is the one who has never wanted to use a childminder/babysitter despite several encouragements from me. She is the one who does not make the time to go to classes or groups or whatever to create a circle of friends other than school - though I have suggested this several times. And she is the one who has decided not to work.

The rest of the nonsense continues. Typically the housework - clearing the dishwasher, replacing with the dirty dishes, organising the washing - is never done during the day. The week before last, for example, none of the above was done, then came cooking for the evening and, instead of clearing up while I put our son to bed, she went on to Facebook/e-mail; resulting in not finishing the work until 1 am.

Happened again yesterday and I offered to clear up but was rebuffed.

A couple of weeks ago, yes, while supervising piano practice, I did leave my (empty) coffee cup upstairs. Her comment was, 'HOW COULD you do that?' The irony of her leaving the cordless phone in the same room the next day and missing a call was lost on her.

The gas fire was on low simmer and she left it on when taking off the rice - something I had done also and been reprimanded for quite rightly. The fact that she did it also was 'just one of those things' and, indeed, her initial reaction was to suggest that I had been at fault again.

I know I should let this just wash over me. I know that I must not be disturbed by it all. But I can't. I care. I try to do the right things but all I get is a set of harsh returns.

Am very tired and do not know what to do. I have tried explanation, have tried logic, have tried acceptance and ignoring but nothing works.

Very, very tired.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Entry 1: Walking Cliche

What can I say? I am a walking cliche. 42 years old, a middle manger in a large organisation in a large city. Married, one child (private sc...