Search This Blog

Monday 22 August 2011

Entry 13: The Return

Wife and son are due to return this coming week-end. What will the atmosphere be like?

I've just booked an expensive hotel in Venice for a four-day break in late October - hopefully that will keep her quiet for a while. Spend money, be happy.

I was speaking on the phone to a friend of mine who has been with her husband for 10 years now. And she was saying that they go through ups and downs and that they row.

Perhaps we should row also but I would end up saying things that I do mean - as in these blogs - and that would not be good. She does spout nasty things when angry but I have to let them go for fear of opening up my full resentment.

This friend also spoke of her brother whose marriage, apparently, really is in trouble. But they continue because of two very young kids.

Increasingly - perhaps because my parents have a combined age of 160, perhaps because of the recent funeral - I feel myself getting morbid and thinking of / being fearful of death. It must be because we think of ourselves as immortal that we do the things we do - work too hard, fight, quarrel. Believing perhaps that once this bad thing is over, all will be well.

Will I be able to slow things down, take my time, enjoy what is out there without searching for it - breathe every moment and know its worth?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Entry 1: Walking Cliche

What can I say? I am a walking cliche. 42 years old, a middle manger in a large organisation in a large city. Married, one child (private sc...